THE Budget department's decision to slash the Philippine Carabao Center (PCC) and the National Dairy Authority's (NDA) allocations for next year should be reversed, a legislator said.
The NDA's 2023 budget was decreased to P77 million from this year's P110 million while that for the PCC was also slashed to P566 million from P800 million, Misamis Oriental Rep. Yevgeny Vincente "Bambi" Emano pointed out.
Emano moved to reverse the budget cuts during a recent hearing of the House Committee on Appropriations, saying "the NDA and the PCC have commitments to farmers and the free milk being distributed to students will be affected with a decrease in their budget."
NDA Administrator Farrel Benjelix Magtoto said the Department of Budget and Management did not approve funding for a dairy road map implemented during the term of former Agriculture secretary William Dar.
"We allocated P2 billion to kick-start the daily road map to make Philippines five percent sufficient in milk by 2028...," he noted.Get the latest news
PCC Executive Director Liza Battad, meanwhile, said her agency's budget for a genetic improvement program was also reduced substantially.
"The genetic improvement program aims to sustain and upscale it on a yearly basis but for 2023 there is a good reduction [in the allotted funds]," Battad added.
- Muslim man killed, another wounded in Zamboanga shootings
- Joe Biden Visiting 2 Swing States On Labor Day As Midterm Crunch Time Begins
- Iloilo governor: Proposed Panay expressway to bring more progress – Manila Bulletin
- Housing agency looks at backlogs
- Subsidy programs to be sustained
- Serena Williams' top 10 moments
- Davao team wins U15 football title in Singapore
- Teesta Setalvad: India activist gets bail in 2002 Gujarat riots case