WASHINGTON (AP) — Lawyers for former President Donald Trump on Monday asked a federal judge to prevent the FBI from continuing to review documents recovered from his Florida estate earlier this month until a neutral special master can be appointed.
The attorneys asserted in a court filing, their first since the FBI search of Mar-a-Lago two weeks ago, that the sets of documents taken from the residence were “presumptively” covered by executive privilege.Advertisement
“This matter has captured the attention of the American public. Merely ‘adequate’ safeguards are not acceptable when the matter at hand involves not only the constitutional rights of President Trump, but also the presumption of executive privilege,” the attorneys wrote.
Separately Monday, a federal judge acknowledged that redactions to an FBI affidavit spelling out the basis for the search might be so extensive as to make the document “meaningless” if released to the public. But he said he continued to believe it should not remain sealed in its entirety because of the “intense” public interest in the investigation.
A written order from U.S. Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart largely restates what he said in court last week, when he directed the Justice Department to propose redactions about the information in the affidavit that it wants to remain secret. That submission is due Thursday at noon.
Justice Department officials have sought to keep the entire document sealed, saying disclosing any portion of it risks compromising an ongoing criminal investigation, revealing information about witnesses and divulging investigative techniques. They have advised the judge that the necessary redactions to the affidavit would be so numerous that they would strip the document of any substantive information and make it effectively meaningless for the public.Advertisement
Reinhart acknowledged that possibility in his Monday order, writing, “I cannot say at this point that partial redactions will be so extensive that they will result in a meaningless disclosure, but I may ultimately reach that conclusion after hearing further from the Government.”
Several news organizations, including The Associated Press, have urged the judge to unseal additional records tied to this month’s search of Mar-A-Lago, when FBI officials said they recovered 11 sets of classified documents, including top secret records, from the Florida estate.
Of particular interest is the affidavit supporting the search, which presumably contains key details about the Justice Department’s investigation examining whether Trump retained and mishandled classified and sensitive government records. Trump and some of his supporters have also called for the document to be released, hoping it will expose what they contend was government overreach.
In his written ruling, Reinhart said the Justice Department had a compelling interest in preventing the affidavit from being released in its entirety. But he said he did not believe it should remain fully sealed, and said he was not persuaded by the department’s arguments that the redaction process “imposes an undue burden on its resources.”
“Particularly given the intense public and historical interest in an unprecedented search of a former President’s residence, the Government has not yet shown that these administrative concerns are sufficient to justify sealing,” he wrote.Advertisement
Follow Eric Tucker on Twitter at http://www.twitter/com/etuckerAP and AP’s coverage of Donald Trump at https://apnews.com/hub/donald-trump
Mar-a-Lago Search Judge Says He Believes FBI Claims, May Keep Affidavit Secret
Trump's Turbulent White House Years Culminate In Florida Search
Ex-Fox News Staffer Makes Most Shocking Claim Yet About Old Employer In Book
Do you have information you want to share with HuffPost? Here’s how.
Popular in the Community
Serena Williams Loses To Ajla Tomljanovic In U.S. Open In What Is Expected To Be Last Match Of Career
Kevin McCarthy Referred To The 'Electric Cord Of Liberty,' And People Are Confused
Bill Barr Calls B.S. On Trump's 'Red Herring' Classified Document Excuses
Daily Caller Trolls Biden With 'Star Wars' Meme That Backfires Badly
CNN Correspondent Uses Last Day At Network To Send Clear Message On Trump
PoliticsHuffPost's top politics stories, straight to your inbox.Successfully Subscribed!Realness delivered to your inbox
- Congressman not spared in call, text scam; loses P10K – Manila Bulletin
- Pelosi's Taiwan visit makes herself an enemy of 1.4 billion Chinese
- Statue reunited with its feet after New Zealand cop takes icy dip in river
- China's recent white paper on Taiwan question must be read by Americans who do not want war
- Hero Cup: DP World Tour launch Ryder Cup
- Leftist Petro takes office in Colombia amid challenges
- China’s poverty alleviation experience can help Afghanistan: ICRC special adviser
- Australia’s review of Defense Force shows military ambitions, concern over US’ decline